This summer, create a haven to relax, entertain, or hideout, while on a budget! Determine these 4 areas when thinking through a screened porch:
Create a Checklist
The first thing to start with is a checklist so you can get organized.
- Determine your style – do you tend to lean toward modern, classic, rustic? Whatever it may be, your screened in porch should reflect your personality and taste.
- Also, make sure you think through the size of your space and what it will be used for – entertaining, relaxation, or family hang-outs? This will help determine budget and which pieces will fit within the confines of your porch space.
- Then, create your budget and start shopping! You can find your essentials at a cheaper place, such as a super mart, and then get more unique accent pieces from an antique store or flea market.
- Finally, get inspired through magazines, blogs, and Pinterest to create the dream porch that you want!
Determine Your Lighting
One of the most important aspects of making your porch feel welcoming is the lighting. There are many different options on a budget! If you want to go for a cozy feel, small rustic lamps placed throughout is a good place to start. To give your porch a chic/sleek look, you could consider recessed or track lighting. Another option is to make your porch look more retro by using string lighting, which is one of our personal favorites (guide from Home Depot here). You can even put in a chandelier for a more classic/elegant style!
Pick the Flooring
While flooring might not be the most exciting topic, it is very important when it comes to your porch! Here are a few other options to consider:
- Laminate is another option and you can choose from many different colors/styles to make it look like real tile, wood or stone so that it is less expensive.
- If you aren’t a big fan of constant cleaning, tile is a great option and allows you to incorporate creative designs. Tile also absorbs more solar energy than wood or carpet, so it keeps the floor warm.
- Hardwood creates and elegant and inviting look and is easy to maintain. There are many different options and styles for wood flooring, including cuts, fabrications and finishes.
A rule of thumb is to think through where your porch will be placed to determine if it will get a lot of foot traffic (is it near an entry or exit to the yard). One of the easiest solutions is to decorate your patio with a durable area rug so that you have a variety of colors and patterns to choose from to create your perfect look. However, if you have a lot of sun exposure in the room, your carpet color may fade.
Add in Furniture
Finally, the most fun part of decorating – adding in furniture! There are very affordable options that help optimize space. For example, you could place a sectional in one of the corners for sitting and then design around it! You can purchase nice throw pillows from somewhere like World Market and throw in a colorful rug as an accent to complement the sectional.
The key is to be creative and have fun! You can use a thrifted coffee table, or a refurbished piece of furniture to go in your space. You can even install a speaker system to create extra ambiance!
This summer, build your dream porch and make it your own! Trust us, you and your family will enjoy it for years to come.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: CHELSEA CAPLAN
Chelsea Caplan is a marketing project manager at Movement Mortgage and contributing author to the Movement Blog. She is known for her sense of style and her positive attitude. Chelsea enjoys long walks on the beach, and a great morning devotional. She is a resident sweet tooth and will naturally gravitate toward cookies.
For more useful tips and mortgage information, contact Pam at Movement Mortgage today by visiting her website. You can also visit her at 7773 S. Suncoast Blvd., in Homosassa, Florida. Call her directly at (352) 634-0716.
Courtesy of Pam Cleary, Branch Manager, Movement Mortgage.
Make the Move to Citrus County, Florida
There is something for everyone when you are at your leisure in Citrus County Florida. So if you are looking for an idyllic setting to call home, contact one of our friendly professionals at Coldwell Banker Next Generation Realty of Citrus. Speak with a professional today (352) 382-2700.
Build Your Dream Home on the Nature Coast
When you’re ready to build or remodel your home, contact the trusted professionals of Edward Russell Johnston Inc. Over 43 years of experience building beautiful homes in Sugarmill Woods and across the Nature Coast. Call (352) 795-2200.